The firm was founded over 200 years ago and in that time we have gone through several transformations, each bringing a new focus and a new addition to our clientele.
Many of our present client relationships have their roots in relationships forged well over a century ago: testament, we believe, to our ability to evolve with our clients and provide legal advice and service which helps clients succeed, whatever the particular circumstances of the time.
Trollope & Winckworth
This was the name under which the firm first opened for business. John Ellis, one of the founders, started practising law in 1777 and was joined by George Crawley a year later. Ellises and Crawleys figure prominently among the firm's partners for the greater part of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
The firm has always had a strong connection with clients based in Westminster. The Ellises and Crawleys acted in all the Metropolitan Police Receiver's early property transactions (the Police Office was set up in Whitehall Place in 1829, moving to the Norman Shaw building on the Victoria Embankment in 1890 and to its present home in Victoria in 1967).
One of the partners, George Ellis, was Secretary of the Westminster Hospital, for whom the firm continued to act for over 150 years. It has similar long-standing relationships with United Westminster Almshouses, the Greycoat School and other Westminster charities.
Trollope & Winckworth was the chief source of the firm's church and charity connections.
Winckworth & Pemberton
Trollope & Winckworth merged with Meynell & Pemberton in 1967, so introducing a significant private client practice to the firm. We are pleased to say that we continue to have very strong associations with the Leigh-Pemberton family, and have acted for some of their family interests since the early part of the nineteenth century. The Pemberton name has been retained in the firm's nominee and service companies. Edward Leigh-Pemberton of Torry Hill was a founder of Meynell & Pemberton and was President of the Law Society from 1857 to 1858.
In the late 1980s the firm incorporated elements of another Westminster firm, Knapp-Fishers, and the firm of Lavington Thatcher & Taylor. They brought with them important and unusual client connections, notably in licensed property and education.
Winckworth & Pemberton merged with Sherwood & Co. in 1991. We practised as Winckworth & Pemberton incorporating Sherwood & Co. until 1998, when the firm's name was changed to Winckworth Sherwood.
Sherwood & Co. was founded as a firm of Parliamentary Agents in the early nineteenth century. It specialised in water and transport affairs, and in particular in railways, from Stephenson's Rocket through to Eurostar. The firm acted as Parliamentary Agents for the enabling legislation for the Channel Tunnel and Crossrail.
Our present make-up and organisation reflect the firm's unique history and evolution. We will continue to adapt and evolve, no matter what business name the firm adopts.
Upcoming Events :
National Housing Awards 2017
Thu 07 Sep 2017
Lancaster Hotel, London