The demographics of our ageing population, coupled with the current economic climate, is having a significant impact on the demand for extra care housing and the challenges faced in delivery.
Longer-term solutions for the supply of extra care housing as well as follow-on support and care are of fundamental importance, and expansion in this area on a long-term basis is needed. Extra care housing is not just retirement villages and “grey-tos” but can be served too via the integration of existing communities.
Whilst housing associations and other support providers have been involved in the extra care market for many years, the growing need for purpose-built housing aimed at older people has meant a number of new entrants in this field. Many private developers are looking for opportunities to expand their areas of practice. The success of such a project is dependent on well structured capital and revenue streams, with both public and private funding routes being seen as key areas of opportunity.
At Winckworth Sherwood, our experts advise on all aspects of development work, including:
- outright acquisition, s106 disposals and joint working
- bare land or direct LA subsidies, working in partnership with Boroughs and other public sector bodies
- PFI and pseudo-PFI development projects, as well as alternative development structures, such as Joint Ventures and LLP arrangements.
Our extra care housing team have a wealth of expertise in advising on ancillary documentation, including:
- funding and service level agreements
- LA framework contracts route for support set ups
- agency and other types of management agreement
Our team have similar expertise when it comes to welfare benefits, with the potential implications of the Care Bill always top of mind.
We have acted for clients on the acquisition and disposal of extra care and supported housing portfolios, and of care homes.
Please visit our Social Housing Finance page for more information on funding.
Upcoming Events :
Social Housing Annual Conference 2017
Thu 09 Nov 2017
200 Aldersgate, London, EC1A 4HD