Effective governance seminar: school clerks & company secretaries
Thu 27 Apr 2017
Registration: 9.00am | Start: 9.30am | Finish: 12.30pm
Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB
The importance of the role of the clerk and, in the case of academies, the company secretary to “support and advise” a board is noted in the Governance Handbook. With so many changes to the legal structure of schools and their constitutions, this can be a daunting role. With this in mind, we are holding a seminar at our offices which is aimed the following people:
- clerks of maintained schools;
- clerks of maintained schools which are converting to academy status or which may do so in the future;
- company secretaries of single academies and multi academy trusts
- clerks of local governing bodies of academies within a multi academy trust.
This seminar will provide an overview of the relevant legal responsibilities and will cover the following topics:
- A brief session on the legal responsibilities of clerks of maintained schools (in light of current Government policy, the main focus of the seminar will be on academies, which we believe will be useful for clerks of maintained schools in any event);
- The legal structure of academies / multi academy trusts
- What it means to be a clerk for a an academy within a MAT
- The strategic role of the company secretary
- Managing risks within a Trust
- The role of the clerk and company secretary in supporting effective governance
The seminar will cover some of the topics that we have discussed in previous seminars on the role of the company secretary but will have more of a focus on the value that clerks and the company secretaries can add to the board to ensure there is effective governance.
The seminar will be led by Andrea Squires, Head of Education and Theresa Kerr, Associate Solicitor.
Teresa Doyle, Company Secretary of the Diocese of Westminster Academy Trust, will also be giving give a brief insight into her experiences of working within a MAT, including how her role interacts with the clerks at local governing body level.
Please note there is no charge to attend this seminar.
To register please click here.
Upcoming Events :
Social Housing Annual Conference 2017
Thu 09 Nov 2017
200 Aldersgate, London, EC1A 4HD