Admission Arrangements: Developing policies, refusing admission and challenging EHC plans
Thu 15 Jun 2017
Registration: 9.00am | Start: 9.30am | Finish: 12.30pm
Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB
The admission authority for every school/academy must formally determine their admission arrangements every academic year. We recommend that schools/academies start thinking about their admission arrangements in the summer so that, if changes are to be made, these are ready for consultation before 1 October when the consultation window opens.
Another aspect of admissions which schools/academies are increasingly asking for our help with is advice on the various ways in which they can refuse to admit a child for whom an application has been received, and how to challenge being named in the EHC plan for a child with special educational needs.
With this in mind, we are holding a timely seminar at our offices in June aimed at the following people:
- Directors/Trustees and Governors responsible for developing the admission arrangements, dealing with applications for admission, and deciding requests for admission outside normal age group;
- The Headteacher/Principal of the school/academy;
- Members of the school/academy’s staff who deal with admission matters;
- The SEN Coordinator (in relation to challenging being named in an EHC plan).
The seminar will cover:
- An overview of the School Admissions Code 2014;
- The statutory timetable;
- Mandatory admission criteria;
- Faith based admission criteria;
- Deferred and part-time entry to Reception Year;
- Admission outside normal age group (including delayed entry for “summer born children”);
- How an application for admission can be refused when there is a place available;
- How a proposal to name the school/academy in an EHC plan can be challenged (including the three limbed statutory test).
Please note there is no charge to attend this seminar.
To register please click here.
If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events :
Social Housing Annual Conference 2017
Thu 09 Nov 2017
200 Aldersgate, London, EC1A 4HD