Core Areas: Education
Supporting: Commercial and Corporate, Charities and Social Enterprises, Leisure and Hospitality, Local and Central Government, Construction, Social Housing, Licensing & Procurement
James has specialised in employment law since 1995 and is a recommended lawyer in two categories in the latest Legal 500 directory.
His particular professional specialisms are:
- Helping employers resolve crisis situations.
- Managing large scale redundancy exercises
- Advising on complexity of TUPE consultation and indemnities
- Defending complex tribunal litigation
James’ professional experience is augmented by his experience in public life. He was a City Councillor, director of a Co-operative Development Agency, governor of a Catholic Secondary School and community Junior School in his hometown of Coventry. In London he has been a Trustee of the Mildmay Community Partnership and served as Chair of Governors at Highbury Fields Secondary School from 2008-2013 in which time he appointed a Headteacher and survived two Ofsted Inspections. He is currently a Governor of the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook and sits as a member of London First’s Employment and Skills Advisory Group and the Skills London/Capital Talent Sub-Group.
Follow James Lynas on LinkedIn and Twitter:
- Advising on dismissal of employee suspected of but not charged with sexual offences
- Advising on dismissal of a person remanded on bail for suspected murder
- Advising to dealing with mass grievances raised by union to undermine leadership
- Removing a whistleblower disrupting the leadership team
- Disciplining a senior leader for bugging his boss’ office
- Defending claims for failure to inform and consult on a TUPE transfer
- Drafting a suite of non-bureaucratic HR policies to make it easier to improve or remove underperforming staff
- Drafting a new style Grievance Resolution policy which focuses on resolution rather than blame
- Drafting the Disciplinary Rules for the Home Secretary’s Register of Forensic Pathologists
- Drafting “Sword of Damocles” letters for use in Settlement Agreements to secure post-termination good-behaviour.
Law Society of England & Wales
Employment Lawyers Association
2007 to date, Partner and Consultant, Winckworth Sherwood
2003 to 2006, Principal, Dimblebys Employment Law
2001 to 2002, Solicitor, Boodle Hatfield
1999 to 2001, Solicitor and Head of Employment, Hodge Jones & Allen
1998 to 1999, Solicitor and Head of Employment, Underwoods
1993 to 1997, Trainee and Solicitor, Band Hatton
James produces the blog School Solicitor.
Outside work James is a season ticket holder at Coventry City Football Club and Wasps RFC, a member of Surrey County Cricket Club and the British Film Institute as well as a keen amateur photographer.
Upcoming Events :
How to deliver near & zero energy homes
Wed 27 Sep 2017
Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB