Position: Senior Associate
Mary is part of the Property Dispute Resolution Team. Her expertise includes all aspects of residential and commercial Landlord and Tenant disputes, including housing management. She provides advice to a variety of Public Bodies, Charitable organisations, Registered Providers of Social Housing and individuals.
Mary advises on a broad range of land issues, covering trespass, adverse possession, squatters and boundary disputes, often for ecclesiastical and Registered Provider clients. She advises on both commercial and residential landlord disputes, ranging from service charge disputes, 1954 act renewals, forfeiture and breach of lease disputes. Mary also frequently advises upon matters within the jurisdiction of the LVT, in particular challenges to the reasonableness of service charge demands and contested lease extension claims. Her housing management expertise includes commencing possession proceedings against assured, secure and rent act tenants, advising in respect of succession rights and nuisance claims.
- Representing a Registered Provider in proceedings before the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal brought by a tenant challenging service charge demands on the basis the works did not fall within the definition of repair in the lease
- Acting on behalf of an ecclesiastical client in proceedings brought before the Adjudicator to HM Land Registry to successfully defeat a claim brought by a neighbour to register a piece of unregistered land owned by our client
- Advising Registered Providers on the legal rules of succession for secure and rent act tenancies and currently acting in county court proceedings where it is alleged the original tenant abandoned the property by living abroad
- Issuing proceedings to forfeit a residential tenancy for substantial breaches of the repairing obligation in which we obtained forfeiture of the lease and a substantial order for costs
- Successfully settling a substantial claim for disrepair before proceedings had been issued by the tenant
1998 to date, Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
1996 to 1998, Solicitor, Lewis Silkin
1994 to 1996, Trainee, Lewis Silkin
Upcoming Events :
Social Housing Annual Conference 2017
Thu 09 Nov 2017
200 Aldersgate, London, EC1A 4HD