Robin advises on direct and indirect tax issues on a broad range of business matters, principally relating to corporate transactions and on real estate matters. In particular, Robin has developed an expertise in the design and implementation of tax efficient real estate structures that cater for both property investment and development opportunities in the UK and overseas. Robin also has considerable experience in advising on the formation and running of investment fund structures (UK and offshore) and fund management arrangements with a proficiency in planning for investors and key management.
Robin is a contributor to Tolley’s Property Taxation (2014/15) and has contributed to Sweet & Maxwell’s “Taxation of Companies and Company Reconstructions” and various trade journals. Robin lectured on the “Taxation of UK Businesses Enterprises” LLM module at King’s College, University of London.
- Advising Barratt London on various joint-venture projects, for example, on the partnership arrangements and property tax aspects relating to the Fulham Wharf and Enderby Wharf sites.
- Advised L&Q on a joint venture project at a Thames Estury brownfield site, which will provide 2,500 homes and 660k sq ft of commercial space.
- Advising Aviva Investors on its on-going acquisitions of UK ground rent portfolios, and on the establishment of suitable holding structures.
- Advising M&G Investments on their funding and asset holding structures related to investments in social housing.
- Advising Yoo Capital on its JV investments in major redevelopment sites in Vauxhall and Greenwich.
- Advising a leading family office on the purchase of impaired property debt, together with a corporate reorganisation of the borrower entity (and its real estate assets).
- Advising a club of UK and international investors on the establishment of a Luxembourg holding structure for prime UK real estate rental assets, which included detailed advice on SDLT, VAT and UK direct tax issues.
- Advising on major London bus operator on its acquisition of a significant West London bus franchise business
- Advising a leading family office on the disposal of a significant petrol retail business to Shell.
- Advising the ‘exiting’ shareholders and the management team on the sale of a leading artisanal baker business (and its associated operations) to Risk Capital Partners.
- Advising academics of a leading London University college on a tax efficient business spin out.
- Advising the overseas based investors on the design and implementation of a international holding structure and a suitable UK trading structure in respect of a well- known restaurant chain.
- Advising a leading timber asset fund manager on the establishment of new fund structures (which cater for UK and overseas investors) and on management arrangements (including its carried interest structure).
- Advising a leading City institution on the establishment and running of a Cayman Island credit derivative fund, together with advice to UK investment manager entity.
Law Society of England and Wales
2014 to present, Partner, Tax Department, Winckworth Sherwood
2011 to 2014, Head of Corporate Tax, Teacher Stern
2002 to 2011, Head of Corporate Tax, Wedlake Bell
1999 to 2002, Solicitor, Squire Sanders
1994 to 1999, Trainee and then Solicitor, Allen & Overy (including placement at PwC)
Upcoming Events :
Window Dressing: a forensic accountant's guide to alternative facts in financial results
Wed 29 Mar 2017
Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB