Toni is a partner and head of the Regulation, Data & Information department at Winckworth Sherwood. He joined from Addleshaw Goddard.
His considerable in-house experience enables him to offer practical, commercially-focused solutions in what is often a technical and complex area. After starting his career in private practice, Toni has held a number of positions as a senior legal adviser, General Counsel, Head of Legal and Company Secretary in household name businesses over the last 15 years, including IBM (where he was EMEA Data Privacy Counsel), Virgin Media, YouView TV and BGL Group (owners of comparethemarket.com). He was also Global Privacy Counsel at Willis Towers Watson.
Toni has assisted clients in the banking and insurance, retail, media, public (including Health and MOD), and telecoms and technology sectors on a wide range of privacy and cyber security issues, including regulatory and compliance investigations, profiling, data monetisation and data breaches.
He has advised on GDPR, e-privacy, PECR, net neutrality, RIPA, reputation management and cyber security. He has consulted with CEOP, the Home Office and NTAC and given evidence to a Joint Committee of Parliament on the Data Communications Bill.
He is also an experienced technology, IT outsourcing and digital media lawyer and has led negotiations in international commercial and technology engagements.
- Binding Corporate Rules applications on behalf of Rolls Royce and Tate & Lyle
- GDPR compliance advice to including British Airways, Thomas Cook, Barclays, Royal Bank of Scotland, HSBC, Lloyds, Sainsbury's Bank, Clydesdale Bank, Chelsea and West Bromwich, Yorkshire building societies, Marsh, Aviva, AIG, Sainsbury’s, Argos, Britvic, BAT, Diageo, JD Sports, Moneysupermarket, Primark, Royal Mail, and PZ Cussons
- Cyber security breach advice to multiple clients including implementing response plans
- Implementing a post Schrems / 'Safe Harbor' privacy compliance programme involving data transfer agreements in multiple jurisdictions
- Rollout of Meerkat Movies (which replaced Orange Wednesdays offering weekly 2 for 1 cinema tickets) including handling privacy consents, app development and membership plans, and the collection of personal data, together with related marketing, competitions and promotions.
- Advised on a ‘big data’ initiative to use behavioural data to enable targeted advertising in video-on-demand programmes
- Dealing with the aftermath of hacking and denial of service attacks including liaising with the police and media
Law Society of England and Wales
Society of Computers and Law
2017 to present, Partner Winckworth Sherwood
2016 to 2017, Legal Director, Addleshaw Goddard
2015 to 2016, Global Privacy Counsel, Willis Towers Watson
2013 to 2014, Head of Legal, BGL / comparethemarket.com
Family, cinema, theatre, gardening, travel
Upcoming Events :
HR Hour: Keeping it confidential
Tue 17 Oct 2017
Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB